Hi, I’m Chrissy—the blogger behind Eat Sleep Breathe FI. I write about FI (financial independence), money, and life from beautiful Vancouver, BC.
My husband, two boys, and I lead a regular middle-class life with regular middle-class expenses. (We’re just slightly more optimized than most.) We reached FIRE at the ages of 42 (me) and 45 (my husband)!
I was a graphic designer for six years before I became a stay-at-home mom. My husband M was an art director at a local video game company (but is now retired)! Kid 1 is 16 and Kid 2 is 13. They’re currently remote learning from home and are loving it.
All four of us LOVE dogs and Japan (the country, the people, the food, and the culture). The newest member of our family, Mika the Shiba Inu, is both of our loves rolled into one.
Other things we love
Besides dogs and Japan, we also love to travel, hang out with friends and family, try new foods, go to the movies, take Mika for long walks, attend festivals, explore our city and others nearby, visit libraries, fix and build things, learn new skills, have potlucks, game nights, movie nights—basically just squeeze as much fun out of life as we can!
But… I’m an introvert, so I work hard to balance the aforementioned fun with good doses of downtime. This is when M and the boys make good use of his man cave, and I retreat to my office to blog, podcast, and continue to obsess about FI. (Yes, even though we’re already FIRE, I still love learning about FI.)
What I’m passionate about
I love helping others, learning new things, and working on getting a little happier every day. I’m also super passionate about FI.
Blogging is the perfect way for me to combine these passions. I love how blogs allow us to so easily and freely share knowledge.
Fun facts about me
- We reached FIRE in May 2021.
- My husband will retire in November 2021.
- I came out of the blogging closet in May 2020.
- I’m an introvert, but if you talk to me about FI, you won’t be able to shut me up.
- I’m a twin.
- We’re identical twins, but it’s pretty easy to tell us apart.
- My twin sister was born two minutes after me, but she’s an inch taller.
- I’m left-handed, but my twin sister is right-handed.
- Curiously, our younger brother is left-handed and a graphic designer like me.
- Our dad was a hardcore Mustachian long before being a Mustachian was cool.
- I can draw and paint.
- For a long time, I dreamt of becoming a children’s book illustrator.
- I enjoy sewing, knitting, and crocheting amigurumi, but have mostly stopped so I can blog and podcast more!
- I don’t love cooking. But I do it anyway (and a lot of it) because I dislike being unfrugal even more!
- I’m a total klutz.
- I’m only five feet tall. (Most of my kids’ friends outgrew me long ago!)
- We’re huge theme park fans, and have visited Disneyland, Disney World, Tokyo Disneyland, and both American Universal Studios parks.
- We’re in love with Japan. If family, school, and work didn’t keep us rooted here, we’d move there in a heartbeat.
- We love dogs, and
regularly dog-sit for family and friends to get our doggy fix.(As of August 2019, we got our own dog, so we no longer need to dog-sit for our doggy fix!)
- I prefer driving stick shift (it’s the frugal choice, and it’s way more fun!)
- Matcha-flavored sweets are my weakness (especially matcha Kit Kats… yum).
- I meditate daily because it helps me stay happy.
- I’m a glass-half-full kinda gal, and have been told I smile a lot. 😄
- I co-host a podcast, but I still hate listening to the sound of my own voice.
I’d love get to know you too!
Feel free to introduce yourself in the comments below and share some fun facts about you.
Even more about me and this blog
If you’d like to learn a little more about me and Eat Sleep Breathe FI, here are some links to help you do that:
- My Backstory will tell you even more about me, and how my husband and I started our money and FI journey. (I also talk about how the idea to start this blog came to be.)
- About This Blog explains how Eat Sleep Breathe FI adds diversity and a new perspective to the already-full FI blog scene.
- Here We Go is the first official post on Eat Sleep Breathe FI. It started as an explanation for my very long launch process, but in the end became kind of a blog manifesto. In the post, I talk about how I plan to blog and why I blog the way that I do.
- Episode 016B: Chrissy’s Backstory is an interview I did on my podcast, Explore FI Canada with my co-hosts Money Mechaninc and Ryan. I share my backstory, from my Mustachian upbringing to how I discovered FI.
- How to Reach FI on One Income, With Kids, in a High Cost of Living Area explains some of the many ways we’ve saved money and lived frugally.
- How Much Does it Cost to Live the FIRE Life in Vancouver? (As a Family of Four) is my interview with myself, in which I reveal our annual essential spending and even more ways we save money.
- We Did It—We Reached FIRE (Financial Independence, Retire Early)! is another interview with myself, in which I share when we reached FIRE and the whys behind my husband’s decision to retire at the age of 45.
Support this blog
If you liked this article and want more content like this, please support this blog by sharing it! Not only does it help spread the FIRE, but it lets me know what content you find most useful. (Which encourages me to write more of it!)
You can also support this blog by visiting my recommendations page and purchasing through the links. Note that not every link is an affiliate link—some are just favourite products and services that I want to share. 🙂
As always, however you show your support for this blog—THANK YOU!